Thursday, January 9, 2014

Udo Shrine

 Well, I'll try to keep my writing to a minimum, since I have 40-something pics to share. Sorry in advance.

A week or so ago, we got the opportunity to go to Udo Shrine with the Peterson family. They were so sweet to invite us to come along! We began the day by stopping by the beach. It was beautiful. It was also freeeeeeeeezing! So we only stopped there for about 10 minutes or so.



We then stopped at a bakery on the beach to grab some bread and drinks, which were seriously tasty. We also went outside and took a couple of pics. Below is a picture of "Devil's Washboard," but is called "Ogre's Washboard" 'round these parts. These are natural rock formations in the ocean, and looking at them, you can see where it gets its name. 




When we made it to the shrine, we opted to take the "scenic" route. This turned out to be the "not for the faint of heart" route as well. There were some serious stairs to climb. We chose to go this way because it is super old. Er, sorry I can't remember just how old at the moment. But thousands of years. Yeah...


Starting the hike

Still hiking

Made it to the top! And guess what? More stairs! :)

And back down...
No worries, we made it!

Entering the shrine area.


Heidi and Julie!

Bridger was being sweet and giving Daddy some gravel as a present.


Our seriously-attractive group.

On our way down to the shrine. Isn't it beautiful?!


The shrine is in a cave!


Heidi's candy, which was made by "sweet" water from the cave. 


After walking through the shrine area, we bought some good-luck charms. It's tradition to throw the charms and try to make them into the "hole" in that turtle-like rock's "shell." If you make it, you get good luck. I think it has to do specifically with marriage. I think. And Casey and I both made it twice. Ah yeah, baby!

Come on, Luck!


Splash! Yeah, we're lucky! Casey is a seriously awesome photographer to have gotten that splash!


Cute pic, but unfortunate "bubble" in middle. Meh.



And then Casey and I had this brilliant idea to race back up the steps, which really taught us just how old we are getting...-


But guess who won? Yeah, I do realize he had a bit of a disadvantage (aka "baby weight) but I'll take it!


After the shrine, we stopped to eat at a restaurant called Clover. The food was delicious. The fact that it had an all-you-can eat dessert bar made it pretty high on my list! However, Bridger decided it was time to be a sleepy monster, so it was a bit difficult. Noa and Shane got some good pics to document just how it went down.


Bridger and Noa hanging out

Bridger sliding off of my lap to escape.

Squirming and screaming and wanting Daddy.

Telling Daddy how mean Mommy was being, I believe. (But seriously, that is a cute pouty face right there.)

This picture says exactly how I was feeling right about now.

But no worries, cuz we survived. And then Bridger fell asleep. And then we saw this stunning view!

I sure enjoyed it.


Another pic of Ogre's washboard. Did I mention it's ridiculously beautiful here?

What an amazing day. We saw so many gorgeous sights. I'm going to miss how lush Japan is when I head back home. So grateful for our fun friends who showed us around!


No comments:

Post a Comment