Monday, October 14, 2013

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Bicyclist's Life for Me!

Okay, I wanted to title this post "A Biker's Life for Me," but as it turns out, I just could never convince anyone that I was a black leather and Harley kind of gal. So to avoid confusion, "A Bicyclist's Life for Me" will just have to do.

Since coming to Miyazaki, I have learned to rely heavily on a bicycle for my main mode of transportation. It's been a bit of an adjustment, but I'm seriously in love with it. Must have something to do with the fact that I can no longer teach Spinning classes at my local gym. And that just hurts. Oh how I miss those Spinning days! But enough of the lamenting for now.

Back to my mamachari. Yep, that's my bike's official name. If you're not sure what that is, you might be familiar with "Beach Cruiser." Or at the very least, a "granny bike." And let me just say, I seriously love it. It's exactly what I need since, well, I'm a mama! (And yes, that's where it gets its name).

It even comes complete with a basket on the front and a bell. Doesn't get much cooler than that.

And I'm happy to say I don't stick out as the lame person on a granny bike, as there are always several bikes on the road, and almost all of the mamachari variety.

But it wouldn't matter anyway, just look at how awesome we look cruisin' down the road...





Anyway, biking is a big mode of transportation around here, which is something I totally love. The only thing that is a tad bit difficult is finding a way to get many groceries home. (But we have awesome friends out here who let us borrow their car for our"big" shopping trips, which I explained in a previous post.) For the everyday trips, it's all up to the bike and my kinda-decent leg power. 

You'd be surprised with just how much a person can carry on one of these bikes. Huge bags of rice, milk, eggs, you name it. Pretty sure I'll be doing a bit more biking when we get back home to the states. It's a great way to stay in shape, slow down, and enjoy the scenery!

Thank you, mamachari! 

No comments:

Post a Comment