Monday, January 27, 2014

Remember That One Day I Drove in Japan?

About a week ago, Bridger was sick and needed to see a doctor. It seems like this little guy is constantly sick since we've been here, but I wonder if I feel that way because going to the doctor is such a chore. Of course, it's only difficult because of the language barrier. But difficult it is! Anyway, I generally go to an ENT just around the corner from our apartment when we have a cold or something because he speaks a bit of English. Bless that man! :) But this time, we needed a pediatrician, and I wasn't sure where to go.

So I called Dennis. Poor guy! But he's so sweet and said he would go with us to get Bridger all checked out. But then he decided to make me drive and nearly gave me a heart attack. You see, I have pretty much refused to drive since we got here, opting to let Casey chauffeur me around. Dennis decided I should give it a try, and my protests went unheard.

Now I'd say I'm usually a rather quiet person, but I jabbered the whole way to the doctor's office, rambling things like "Ah! I can't do this!" "Okay, I can do this." "Um, what if I wreck your car?" "Um, how do I park this thing?" And other things that likely had Dennis chuckling inwardly. Bridger was unusually quiet in his carseat too. I believe he was holding his breath, saying a silent prayer for our safe arrival and hoping we arrived in one piece. But guess what, folks? We made it. The car still has all its paint and no dents caused by trees, medians, or other cars. I even drove to the store the other day with Casey from this newfound confidence.

I had expected the whole driving-on-the-left-side-of-the-street thing to be rough, but the driving-on-the-right-side-of-the-car thing to be worse. I was surprised that I adjusted pretty easily though. 

But I'm still pretty sure this is what I looked like...


(Taken from: http://www.stevekirk.co.uk/nervous-drivers.html)


No comments:

Post a Comment