Sunday, December 15, 2013

Adventures at the McDonald's Drive-Thru


So we just got back from a little trip out to Tokyo last weekend. More to come on that soon. But I just want to write about this little drive-thru experience before I forget. We were on our way home from the airport, and Casey decided it was time for some Mickey-D's. We pull up, and he's like "Hey, I think I'll use the drive-thru this time." To which I promptly replied "Pleeeeeease don't, that is SO awkward!" (May I remind you of our incredibly limited grasp on this dear language.)

My pleas were not convincing enough, so through the drive-thru we went.

The lady on the other end says...well..."nmjkals.ldfrjemafkldix." (Ha, okay, that's probably not exactly what she said. But that's how it still sounds to us. ;))

Casey replies "Ichi. Setto. Hitotsu."
(Number one. Set. One of them.)

Woman on other end: "andfiklasdf.ckzsejkmroa;;"

Casey:

"Gomenesai."
"Watashi no nihongo...."
"Ichi."
"Setto."
"Hitotsu."
"Daijobu?"

which means

"I'm sorry."
"My Japanese..."
"Number one."
"Set."
"One of them."
"Is it okay?"

By this time, I'm laughing so hard that I'm almost crying.

She simply says "Hai," which means "Yes," and we pulled forward. As we drove to the window, I scooted down as far as possible in the seat and continued laughing.

So our first (and hopefully our last) Japanese drive-thru experience actually worked, as seen by the fact that Casey actually got what he ordered! Good job, honey! But seriously, don't ever put me through that awkwardness again. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment